I like this cold weather. (:
It reminds me of those cold, chilly Autumn and Winter days in Scotland. Make, that Autumn, because in Winter, it was icy and every time we inhale, there's this sharp chill of air attacking our throat, and the air there is less humid that it is in Brunei.
Yea, sure Scotland rains sometimes, but it's never as humid as it is in Brunei. And Brunei, compared to old Scotty, is considered warm - meaning to say, this cold wet weather IS warm. It's only, what? 20 'C? Summer in Britain is like 16' or like even 10'C! The sun may be out but the air is uber cool. OMG T__T" I wanna go there again.
So here I say, to those who think this is oh so friggin cold and unbearable: Think- the Temperate Areas... Think of the Cold and Wet season in Brunei to be the Summer in Britain, and just imagine the place to be 4 times colder than the Summer. :3 I know right, freezing! Our bodies will, of course, adapt to the temperature change and climatic change, not to worry.
The weird thing though, it's REALLY cold, even for Brunei, isn't it? The wet and cold weather - a comparison to Brunei's typical wet and hot climate characteristic. It's Winter in Brunei people! =] Snow from the upper atmosphere falls down to the lower atmosphere and melts to form rain-droplets, which bears low temperatures (having melted from ice) , hence: cold, heavy rainfall. The cold-moist air is due to the almost-saturated humidity x3 And why do we get extra wet ey? Because: human interference with the natural environment. The buildings and concrete/tiled floors cause the rate of infiltration and interception of water to decrease, thus water ends up as surface run-off, increasing the chances of flooding.
Another thing I learned today: the flood in the Temburong District is a strange phenomena, similar to that of the flood in the Tutong district, not long ago. The strange phenomena hardly occurs in Brunei till just recently. Reasons: strange weather and human interference with natural environment.
Did you know, the river in Temburong has been altered? it's filled with silts and mud hence increasing the river's water level. - the river's discharge has brought silt and other types of materials down the river and might I add, that the amount of load the river carries has increased over the years due to loss of soil and rock particles from upper area of the river basin as a result from DEFORESTRATION! =___="
Deforestration causes soil to be prone and exposed to weathering and erosion by water or wind, because there isn't any vegetation to hold the soil anymore. This leads to soil being washed into the river. The soil materials are transported and deposited along the river. Accumulation of the silt and soil particles gives a rise in water level, in the river and further leads to the river water spilling over to the river banks. Flooding. That's what happens afterwards. I skipped some geo details but basically these are the points that lead to flooding anyway.
GRR.
Well, the other reason ofcourse, is the weird weather. =] Although I'm quite fond of this weather really, but seeing as Brunei isn't well-suited for constant cold downpours of chilly chilly rain, I really hope for the best to come our way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment